Friday, June 25, 2010

100625 my first experiment of dumplings using my bread maker

I thought bread makers can only help with stuff that needs proofing. But I managed to find out it can also help make noodles by kneading the dough. If it can knead a dough without yeast, I can make dumplings with a bread makers help too!

Actually I was gonna experiment noodles. But since I had a lot of the stuffing leftover from making the stuffed buns, I had to use the dough that I intended to make noodles to make dumplings.
So here's what I tried (also derived from a coupld of recipes over internet):
300g plain flour150ml water
2-3g salt

Use basic - dough cycle and waited for about 40 minutes before I turned the bread maker off. The basic dough cycle takes 2 hours 20 minutes, for stuff with yeast. I don't need proofing and only need kneading so according to some internet recipes I should turn off the bread maker after 8-10 minutes kneading. But the machine does a 'rest' time before it starts kneading, so I have to wait for longer. The rest time seemed to be about 25 minutes and I was busy washing dishes so the machine kneaded 15 minutes before I turned it off. I couldn't use the stop button so I just turned the power off. I opened the lid to make sure I got the dough as I wanted before I turned it off.
The dough turned out a bit too hard this time. Guess next time I'll need to add more water. It's perfect to make noodles as noodles need hard doughs. But I was making dumplings, which means I had to work hard to make the pastries. Hmm...Anyway it was all good. I didn't have the patience to wrap the dough in a cling wrap and wait 20 minutes before I started the process, so the pastries turned out to be a bit...um...crunchy or easy to break when boiled.

This dough makes 36 dumplings, which can probably serve 2 adults.So lessons learned. Here's what I'm gonna try next time:

1. for dumplings

500g flour
275ml water
5g salt

Basic - dough (rest 25 minutes, kneading 10-15 minutes). Turn off power. Wrap dough in cling wrap for 20 minutes before starting to make dumplings. Should make 60 dumplings to serve at least 3 people.

2. for noodles, the experimented recipe should be good enough:

300g flour
150ml water
3g salt

Basic - dough (rest 25 minutes, kneading 10-15 minutes). Turn off power. Wrap dough in cling wrap for 20 minutes before starting to make noodles. Don't know how much noodles this can make, but should be enough for 2 people...

Note:
Just found out that the pizza dough cycle starts with kneading for 10-18 minutes. Next time I can use this cycle to knead non-yeast doughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment