Wednesday, August 4, 2010

100804 my experiment of cheddar cheese bread

I've never tried making cheese bread before, probably because it cannot be delayed and it takes 4 hours to finish a loaf cycle which is difficult for a full time working mom.

Today I'm having a day off and we're running out of bread so I decided to try this recipe. I collected it from the internet but because I hate measuring cups, I try to convert everything into grams in the recipe (and that's where the disaster came from...see my notes below for details).

1tsp yeast
2 3/4 cups plain flour 500g (I added a lot more flour later on because I stupidly added too much water. I guess the total flour was about 720g)
1tsp salt
2tbsp sugar
1/4 cup milk (I don't have fresh milk so I used 1tbsp dry milk and 60ml water)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese 135g

1 egg beated
2 tbsp butter (I used 20g oil)
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp water 155ml (I used 430ml- double of 155+60 coz I thought the water was too little and after that I really regreted so I added a lot of flour when the machine was kneading and I could see there was too much liquid)

Basic bake cycle, L size and light crust.

I knew I messed up but I didn't want to give up easily so I waited for the whole cycle to finish. Surprisingly the bread turned out ok. I mean maybe not what it was supposed to be but still ok for ME. It wasn't very fluffy, quite dense compared to other breads I've made but I like the way it was. It's moist and almost like a cake texture. And it tasted really nice too. It seems that you just can't fail with a Panasonic!

My DD loved it, which is not very normal. She doesn't usually like the bread I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment