Sunday, August 15, 2010

100814 Portuguese sweet bread - my favourite!

Sorry for the crap photo. I couldn't find my camera before I cut it so I used my mobile to take the photo. It was very big. The biggest loaf I've ever made. Considering how much flour I put in it's not surprising.

And it's the loaf that I love the best so far. Look at my blog and you'll know how many recipes I've tried but this is the one that I want to make another immediately after I've tried it.

Now I kind of realize that I'm not really a bread lover. I just enjoy making them, smelling them and sharing them with others. I actually haven't eaten a lot of the breads I've made. But I do have a few of my favourites, such as the coconut rolls, and this Portuguese Sweet bread. I do like the orange sultana bread too.

The original recipe is here.

And below is my slightly variated version:

2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
4 cups bread flour (580g)
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon milk powder
47g cooking oil
2 eggs (I always beat the eggs before putting in the pan)
200 ml water
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

This loaf came out with the perfect density, sweetness, egg taste, texture for me. It doesn't seem to be as heavy as the Brioche (maybe not as much oil). We don't eat sandwiches and I like sweet breads. I don't really like very soft breads. So this bread is perfect for me. I'm definitely gonna make it again, maybe today, as most of this loaf will go to the party that my friend is holding today.

No comments:

Post a Comment