Wednesday, February 9, 2011

110209 my 2 minute Mantou recipe

This is nothing new. Just the least work I've ever done with a bread machine made dough. From the time the dough was out from the bread machine, to the time it was ready to proof, it took me only 2 minutes.

I've been trying different recipes spending lots of time making varieties of bread and when I ask DH what he likes most, he said Mantou. It's the easiest thing to make and he likes it over everything else. Not that he doesn't like anything else. Like he said: "I can get sick of everything else but just not this one."

So less work for me I guess. I've been making cakes (my new addiction) as breakfast so not using bread machine so much recently. But if he likes Mantou, I can make Mantou every day. Or every other day if we can't finish one lot in one day.

Here's the recipe (it's basically the slightly variated version of my all time dough recipe):

Yeast 1 tsp
Flour 625g (3 1/2 cups)
Salt 1 tsp
Sugar 2 TBSP
Milk powder 1 TBSP
Oil 20g
Water 310ml

Pizza dough cycle (45 min)

Take out and spread the dough into a roughly round shape and cut cut cut into small pieces, (I used to roll the dough into a log and cut into similar shapes but I'm not selling them so the less work the better!) then cover with a hand towel and proof for 30 min to 1 hour depending on temperature.

Steam for 10 minutes and eat. It should be enough for 4 adults. Or maybe 2 if they eat as much as I do. I just can't stop eating them. I guess it's the milk powder content that's so addictive.

I suppose you can bake them too? I'm more into traditional Chinese "steaming" way of making buns and quite believe steaming costs less than baking.

I would add a date to each Mantou to make it more traditional but it would take me another 1 minute.

Or next time I could try adding some descicated coconut. Or some wholemeal flour. Or whatever in the pantry that I want to get rid of.

No comments:

Post a Comment